Pregnancy is one of the most important times in life to look at the foods in your life and assess if it is best for you and your future kiddies. This will help your future baby but also your whole family if they are keen to get on board the pregnancy nutrition bandwagon, which straight and simple nagging will help with of course! Maybe it’s time for a Pantry Flip!
Number 1 healthy eating tip/hack: It can’t be eaten if it is not in the fridge or pantry!
Things to remove and swap out:
- Plastics – plastics have been shown to disrupt hormones, neurotoxic and disrupt our good bacteria in our gut. Options to swap to include beeswax wraps instead of cling wrap, jars and glass containers instead of plastic storage items. Especially do not heat plastic as this just speeds up the process of the plastic leaching into the food.
- Packaged foods – anything in a packet usually has other non-foods things in it. Who wants to feed their child or themselves even something that is a food-like product? I always try to imagine what my cells inside are saying to me when I eat those foods – probably not nice things!!
- Preservatives and numbers – following on from packaged foods are NUMBERS. Again – these are food like products that are made in a lab. Not in the ground or even outside. Check out The Chemical Maze book or app to see what kinds of preservatives and numbers might be affecting you and your family. Side effects of preservatives and numbers can be things like: brain fog, fatigue, hyperactivity, headaches, rashes, digestive upsets, insomnia.
- If you haven’t used something within the last 4 weeks – get rid of it, you probably won’t use it in the next 4 weeks.
- De clutter! Detach from random bobs and bibs in the kitchen. Do you really need 5 different wooden spoons or 10 different sized mixing bowls? Donate some to charity or a friend in need to decrease clutter. A clear pantry = a clear mind!
Things TO DO:
- Buy in Bulk – save money + save the earth = super mama. Buying your flour, nuts and seeds, muesli, cacao powder, rice and pasta from a Bulk Food store will save you money and also save packaging and plastic going to landfill.
P.S. No waste life is the new kid on the block!
- Include lots of herbs and spices for flavouring dishes. Turmeric, basil, himalayan salt, ginger, cumin, black pepper etc. Spice racks can be a great idea for storage and look super cute.
- Fill your fridge and pantry with lots of fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds, fermented foods and berries! Cut things up like carrot and celery sticks, pineapple, strawberries, melons, prep a basic salad and pop them in glass containers in the fridge for easy access and snacks.
- Store your fruits and vegetables correctly to ensure they last. Beeswax wrap to cover open avocados and lemons, wrap cauli and broccoli with a damp cloth to store for longer.
- Buy seasonally with fruits and vegetables. Pesticides are used to make non-seasonal fruit grow better so we want to avoid this as much as possible.
Sign up to our newsletter here: